Friday, March 30, 2012

Visiting Teaching Moment

Dear Sisters,

I had an opportunity to receive training along with the other members of Relief Society Presidency this past month. It was a rewarding experience and led me to study more on the topic of Visiting Teaching.

A quote by Sister Mary Ellen Smoot gives the main reason for this change by saying: “My desire is to plead with our sisters to stop worrying about a phone call or a quarterly or monthly visit, and whether that will do, and concentrate instead on nurturing tender souls” (Daughters in My Kingdom, page 117) I would like to share one of the changes to Visiting Teaching that you will notice over the next few months.

Starting immediately, visiting teachers will be asked to report special needs and service given – in other words, their ministering. They will count their caring instead of counting a visit, a telephone call, or a letter that is sent. (Ensign, March 2012, Visiting Teaching: Understanding the Power of Ministering)

Visiting teaching supervisors may ask, “What ways did you find you were able to increase her faith, strengthen her home or family, or provide relief?” Examples of reports may be:

· We discussed the visiting teaching message and found that her daughter is struggling with… I have been praying for her daughter and called last week to see how they are doing. There hasn’t been a change and my companion and I are fasting for them this Sunday.

· Our visit was great. She is having company for spring break and we are watching her kids the Friday before so she can get any last minute stuff done before they come.

· She still doesn’t answer the phone or door when we try to make contact. Her neighbor, Janice, told me went on a cruise for a week this month. I plan on mentioning that in the next note I leave and my companion and I are praying to have the opportunity to meet her in person.

All confidential matters will continue to be reported to the Relief Society president.

Visiting Teaching may seem overwhelming, especially if you feel discouraged by visiting those who do not desire contact or who seem to dislike you. It helps me to remember that it is an inspired assignment from the Lord. I often feel inadequate in my attempts to serve but have felt strengthened by the testimonies of others. Daughters in My Kingdom, Chapter 7 contains many powerful examples of how we can make a difference through visiting teaching. I confess that a shed a few tears reading the stories of these women who learned to be more like our Savior and minister to others.

I have been blessed by many faithful visiting teachers and hope to be more like President Kimball’s wife, Camilla, who said the following about her efforts as a visiting teacher: “I have tried not to suppress any inclination to generous word or deed”.

Love,

Becki Wilcox

p.s. for more information on the changes you may read: http://www.lds.org/service/serving-in-the-church/relief-society/visiting-teaching-training/purpose-is-to-minister?lang=eng#4 or watch: http://www.lds.org/service/leadership/relief-society?lang=eng#reporting-visiting-teaching

No comments: